Alton Brown’s Bacon
Also of note, Alton Brown’s scrambled eggs recipe. Easy and quick.
- Avoid sodium erythorbate, sodium nitrate, phosphates, liquid smoke
- If your grocer has slab bacon (mine doesn’t), ask for a thick cut.
- Go for center cut, which has less fat.
- Get bacon that has ‘streaks’ of fat and lean meat
- Color doesn’t matter. Brown is more likely truly smoked and pink is more likely artificial smoke.
- Bottom shelf bacon is usually fatty and full of water.
- Uncured bacon doesn’t use chemical preservatives, but it uses the nitrates found in celery juice.
- In the show, Alton Brown selected an Oscar Meyer Center Cut bacon.
To cook bacon, I put them on a cold pan on low heat and flip frequently until the fat is translucent. No food poisoning yet!